RE: how to install the chrome thingy

To: "'SMTP:british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: how to install the chrome thingy
From: mike_israel@merck.com (Mike Israel)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 94 14:30:00 EDT
>> Guys, I'm having a hard time installing the plastic-chrome
>> thingy that goes around the windshield rubber of a
>> Spit 1500. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried sliding the
>> thing in but it keeps slipping out 2/3 of the way in.

I had the same problem with my 77 Spit.  Seems that the rubber moulding
dries out over time and short of pulling the windshield and replacing the
seal there is little you can do if you are going for perfection.

If you are willing to cheat then get the thing on as best you can.  Inject
some black silicone sealant where it does not attach (the corners in my
case) and get some BIG clamps to hold it in approximate position until dry.
This is what I did and it worked great ... stays secure at high speed and is
only detectable upon very close observation.  Of course if I ever need to
replace the windshield I will probably need a new chrome thingy to go with
it.

Regards,

               mike_israel@merck.com

77 Spitfire