Uk shipping, just done it.

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Uk shipping, just done it.
From: Dennis <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 08:53:04 -0700 (MST)
I have just ordered 900 pounds ($1450) worth of parts from Triumph Tune in
the UK.  They are shipping it air mail, the total weight of the order is
28 Kg (about 65 lbs) and the cost of shipping is 87 pounds (about $140) which
includes shipping, packing and getting it through US customs right to my
door step.  This is the the second of two orders I made from them, the first
was for about $800 abd I had my father bring that stuff out here so postage
was $0.  I asked if i could have a discount as I was spending over $2000
of parts from them and they politely said no.  Companpies in the UK are
as "we want your business so here's a great deal" as companies here.
Apparently Triumph Tune (part of Moss) is increadibly busy and do not
want for business, ie, they do not appear to be victims of the hard times.
So they do not have to offer incentives.  At least thats my opinion.
Ordering these parts from the UK not only saved me lots of $$, but I got parts
and services not easily obtainable from a single place here.
For example, they have rim-flow "type" stainless stell stelite coats valves
off the shelf, head porting services for any stage of tune and a custom
ground phosphate hardened cam shaft to match with lightened phosphate hardened
cam followers which also match and lightened, shortened push rods to go with
the higher compression head and double valve springs specially made to
prevent coil binding which might have been a problem with the higher lift cam.
All this is off the shelf, has been tried and tested, and all matches and
complements the next component.
   I got very tied of seeing ads over here for single parts which would add
HP but I did not find any places which could offer the whole performance
package where their "go faster part" would be complemented by other parts in
the system.  But I have not put the engine together yet so I don't REALLY know
if I have got what I wanted.  I still have to spend another $2000 on
machine shop services and afew more parts here in Phoenix for the lower
half of the engine.
    I need to finish my car so I can use it as a wedding car this August
as I'm getting married.  It was a hard job convincing my wife-to-be that
she would be able to fit her and her dress in the front seat.

  I've rambled alot but I have not contributed to the list for ages so I
don't feel too bad.  BTW, the car I have is a 77 Midget and parts are
engine and suspension parts and engine ancillaries.

Cheers Dennis