RE: TR-6 Front End Shake

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR-6 Front End Shake
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 13:46:40 PDT
Ramon,
  There are lots of possible causes for your TR-6 Steering wheel to shake
while you are cruising.
1.  Front end lower control arm mounts on the frame could be cracked.
2.  Steering Rack mounting rubbers could be loose/worn.
    This is the most likely cause.  For some unknown reason, Triumph had a
    fascination with using lots of rubber components in the steering.
    Sensible designers like MG (gasp!) bolted the racks direcltly to the
    frame.  If you turn the wheel with the car at rest, how much play is
    there?  If it's noticeable, replace the rack mounting setup with a
    solid rack mounting kit from Moss.  Tightening the rubber mounts that
    support the rack is a major pain, because you have to set a 'preload' into
    the system.
3.  Dangerously worn front steering joints.
4.  Worn out Steering U-joint, (on the steering column just behind the rack).
5.  If you can move the steering wheel from side to side without turning it,
    you need new nylon steering column bushings.  Once you get the Aluminum
    column out, replacing them is fairly easy.  Parts are about $10.
    This job can be very time-consuming if your car has a locking column.
    While you're at it, you can adjust the length of the column to fit your
    driving style.  (I like extended arms driving, not 90 degree elbows)
6.  Dangerously cracked steering flex joint.  This is the large rubber joint
    between the brake master cylinder and the battery.
7.  Out of balance tyre/wheel assembly.  This is the second most likely cause.
8.  Out of balance driveline-- this is possible if the problem has 'always
    been there'.
9.  Any combination of the above.

   That's all that I can think of right now.  I hope this helps.

                         Greg Meboe  MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
                         Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                         Washington State University   Pullman, Wash.
                         '67 Spit-6 (Daily)    '74 TR-6 (In Progress)