touring to vermont

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: touring to vermont
From: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 09:32:37 -0400
I headed out of Providence up route 146 on my way
to Burlington, VT 9:30 AM last Monday.  A really nice '61 Corvette
blew my doors off while I was still in Providence, but after
that it was all 80's and 90's cars all the way.  Turned off onto the Mass
Pike in Worcester and then onto 91 in Springfield.  Why all the highways?
Well, I'm afraid I had to be in Burlington at a specific time (note, I
didn't say pretty fast, Sprites are not fast).  Monday was beautiful and
the drive was going along really nice until I hit exit 4 in Putney,VT.  I
stopped for gas and for lunch and discovered much to my horror that the 9th
wonder of the world was not open.  Thats right folks, Curtis' All-American
barbeque in Putney, VT is only open Weds thru Sunday.  A cryin' shame.  I
puttered up another exit and got off trying to find something to eat and
noticed the sign for the MG museum.  Checked my watch, determined I had no
time to spare, grabbed some lunch and got back on the road (I'll be back up
there in about 10 days  :-))  I pulled into Burlington about 4:00 pm and
started looking for Kermit.  No luck,  but I found my friend in the
chemistry department, we cruised downtown for dinner, I went to hear my
students talk at the local ACS meeting, hopped back in the Sprite and
headed for home.  This time taking 89 all the way to go a little faster
since I knew the 9th wonder of the world was not open.  Had about a half
hour of rain on the way back, but just slouched down and drove a little
faster.  I hit the "S" turns on the central artery in downtown Boston going
flat out (hey, I way obeying the speed limit!) and found myself zooming
around a Morgan with a panicky lookin' driver.  I think the dodge-em car
mentality of the Boston drivers had him really bummed.  South of town when
the road opened up he came zoomin' on by and I never saw him again.  Pulled
into Providence at 1:30 Am a little tired, but the car was assuring me that
continuing on was really just fine thank you, the wheels were barely
stretched.  But, four states in a day had been enough for me, and besides,
I had another students talk that day in Providence which I supposed to be
at at 9:00 Am.

I think I suffer from another disease not often discussed on the list.  I
can't stop drivin' my car long enough to get it all prettied up  :-)
Everytime I go out to polish the skoojit or flubit the bujit or align the
heads of a few bolts I just get the darned urge to go for a drive.  But
I've got a secret plan, I'm going to drive my car to Californ-i-a, park it
in someone's driveway, and go sailing for a few days, in the meantime I'm
Mark M. Banaszak Holl
Brown University
401-863-2738
mark_banaszak-holl@brown.edu