Re: Sunbeam GT's

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sunbeam GT's
From: GREG_SCHUETT@fire.ca.gov
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 94 09:48 PDT
>From GREG_SCHUETT Thu Jun 23 09:45:44 0800 1994 remote from ccgate.fire.ca.gov
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 09:45:44 -0800
From: GREG_SCHUETT@ccgate.fire.ca.gov (GREG SCHUETT)
To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Financing a 30 year old car...

     Ray Gibbons asks if banks loan $$$ for 30-year old cars....

     Funny you should ask, Ray, as that was what I was thinking
     as I was looking at my (or soon to be mine) TR4 last October
     at Triumphfest.  Lust in my heart, dust in my wallet....what
     to do?

     It turns out that my credit union didn't even blink an eye.

     Me:  Um, I wanna buy a car
     Them: Ok, what kind?
     Me: (gulp) uh, a thirty year old triumph TR4  *wince*
     Them:  Hey! I had a TR3!
     Me: *whew*

     They (she actually) went on to say that they routinely loan
     $$$ for collector vehicles.  All they require is a formal
     appraisal from a professional appraiser.  I had a local
     collector car dealer do the appraisal for a $125 fee.

     After that, it was treated as a normal car loan.  I had the
     option of 100% financing, borrowing the appraised amount
     instead of the asking price (the asking price was 1K less
     than the car appraised for, so it would have been a 7% cash
     loan for the difference.  Cheap money...), and 12, 24, 36,
     48, 60, or 72 month payoff. Payroll deduction reduced the
     interest rate by 1/2 percent.

     Tying in to the True Cost (ala scott f):

     So now, I figure that the $140 a month I pay (plus interest)
     is actually *less* than I would be paying if I were
     restoring it myself.  I've done two, a TR4 and a TR6 and
     truthfully, when done neither were as nice as this car
     (ouch, self-flagellation on the information superhighway),
     and both were significantly more expensive.

     Greg "well, me and the bank..." Schuett
     Citrus Heights, CA
     '64 TR4 Surrey Top
     schuett@forest.fire.ca.gov