I'm back...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm back...
From: msharp@Synopsys.COM (Michael Sharp)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 94 14:35:09 PDT
Hi folks,

About now you're probably wondering about the subject line.
Well, for everone but the _really_ long time readers of this list
an intro is called for...

Hi!  Many years back when I was living in Lowell, MA I was partially
responsible for the construction of Rob Rimbold's (remember him?)
TR7 with the 225+HP Dolomite Sprint engine and other go fast bits.
(does anyone know what happened to this after Rob traded it in on
a 'vette?) I also showed up at a few of the early get togethers -- I
particularly remember one in Acton, MA where it was decided that I
could be an honorary member.  I drove '73-77 Mercury Capris back then.
[no, not those mushtang clones, real Capris]  They're not British,
but where very popular, hence the honorary SOL status.

Well, now I'm 3000 miles away (Bay Area) and the proud new owner of
a '77 Spitfire w/~40Kmiles on the clock.  I purchased it from John &
Beth Stearns (Beth is/was on this list somewhere).  From what I've seen
of the plugs (heavy carbon) and various receipts its been used regularly
for short drives at low RPM all its life.  Everything is still mechanicly
excellent but its cosmeticly rough -- rough enough for me to initially wonder
about the mileage.

Its been a busy weekend -- I figured out how to tune a Stromberg with
a colortune so that it passed the smog test(!), I got to spend $$ on
a buffer to help restore the heavily oxidized paint (successfully!),
fixed a bunch of little things, and contemplated the cost of redoing
the seats/carpet.   (any comments on Victoria British welcome since
they're on the top of my supplier list at the moment)

FWIW, I'm amazed at how cheap/pleantiful parts are!!
(I got this to drive around while I weld a new roof onto my Porsche,
and as a weekend toy thereafter.  I guess I've gotten to use to Porsche
prices.)

I've already heard about the 'show' in Hayward, CA in mid July.
This is just a short drive from where I live so I should be there
with the spit'.

        --Mike