Re: TS32922

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TS32922
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 94 17:07:17 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Re: TS32922) File(JUN26941.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 06-26-1994 .. 15:30:07

>> So, last Friday, I drove out to Banning to have them (the cons) have a look
>> at it. The suggestion was that I remove all the trim, and then the fenders,
>> hood, trunk and have them dipped. The inmates could then sand the rest of
>> the car down, and do the painting (plus the dipped bits). I would then take
>> it all back home and assemble it.
>

>It is my current understanding that if any of the dip is left on the
>panel and painted over, it will become a source of rust and you will
>see rust bubbles in a couple of years.  It is also my inderstanding
>that it is extreamly difficult to get out of folds such as the door
>bottoms, the bonnet front parts, etc.  I know a guy who had a TR4
>dipped and saw rust bubbles where metal pannels joined to create
>pockets about two years afterwards.  I'm a fan of mechanical abration.

Well, for my 2 cents.

I had the left front wing and the front valance dipped and I wouldn't do
it again. After the dipping and metal prep I took them strait away to
a body shop and had them professtionally primed and painted. Once they
were back on the car I then repaired the rot and filled the minor
dents.  The paint has never stuck to those sections again, as well
as the rest of the car. I have had to repaint the whole front valance

and I am seeing bubbles in it again.  All in all there was just as much
if not more work to do in filling and smoothing the stripped parts
as there was on the parts that were not stripped. It appears that the
factory had used some sort of filler on the car and that was all gone
from the stripping. The job required quite a bit of heavy primer and
sanding to get it to look half way decent again. Not to mentiion the
problem with the paint not sticking to the bare mettal very well.

If I had it to do over I would not have it dipped. Just grind away at
the rusted spots (reapir panels are availble if you want to go that route)
and sand blast near the seams etc.

Louis Poche - POCHE@music.loyno.edu