Triumph values

To: (~b-c)
Subject: Triumph values
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 28 Jun 1994 8:20 EDT
Ken Streeter posted the following:
A few days ago, I had asked about TR6/Spitfire prices to help guide my
search for a Triumph.  (The most common triumphs in New England are
TR6s and Spitfires.)

It turns out that the April '94 issue of "British Car" includes a
Triumph TR6 price guide:  (reprinted here without permission, so
please don't include this in a hardcopy newsletter without permission)

        CONDITION                                               Price
        ------------------------------------                    -------
        Restored - 100% as new, 95 points min concourse         $12,000
        Excellent - mostly restored or superb original           $9,000
        Amateur partly restored, or very good original           $6,250
        Good, complete, runs and drives well                     $4,000
        Fair, drivable, needs minor repairs, but complete        $2,300
        Poor, not too incomplete, not badly rusted/damaged       $1,200
        Poor, rough, incomplete, damaged, or badly rusted          $700

Some people on the list suggested that a TR6 is generally twice the
cost of an equivalent Spitfire.

Does anybody have any comments about this?  The prices seem to be
about 10% - 15% high to me.  Are buyers paying this much? or do you
think these are asking prices, and the 10% - 15% overage comes out in
negotiation?
-----------end of Ken's post------
When time is on the side of the seller, I'd say the prices
are pretty accurate.  Additionally, I'd set the three lower
catagories as follows:  Fair-$3000 (an drivable and complete TR-6
seems to easily get $3K these days); Poor, not too incomplete-$1500-$1800
and the Poor, rough, incomplete-$1000 (the parts are usually worth
more than that.)

Remember, these are values based on a normal (non duress) situation.
If you are trying to sell a TR-6 (or any collector car for that matter)
in a hurry (i.e. divorce settlements, need immediate cash to close
on the new house, etc.) then prices can be lower, especially in
winter months in the northeast.  Also price valuations are usually
given to estimate the cost of replacement.

As to Spitfire values, I'd agree that Spitfire generally are
no more than 1/2 the value of a TR-6 and, unfortunately
for someone selling a Spitfire, a concours car may only be
about 40% of the price of a concour TR-6.  That's simply
a factor of supply/demand for Spitfires vs. the TR
series cars and the TR-6 in particular.

Cheers,
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com