Re: Spit hubs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit hubs
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 09:37:30 EDT
>Pulling a Spitfire hub CAN be done if, as Bruce Cockburn says, you have a
>rocket launcher. Other than that I can't think of anything that would do
>it. I had mine in a two ton press and the buggers held fast !!  It's a
>tough point on the Spitfire.

The TR7 has this same problem.  I actually slightly bent the hub using
a gear puller.  I ended up taking the whole assembly to a machine
shop to have the new bearings installed.  The guy said he had a *very*
hard time getting the hubs off, but it did work eventually and he was
able to press on the new bearings.  It cost me a little over $100 just
for the labor.

-Jim.
----
James A. Babcock, Software Engineer   Email:  jab@netrix.com
Netrix Corporation                    '92 Honda Accord
13595 Dulles Technology Drive         '76 Triumph TR7
Herndon VA  22071        Give Blood -- It's a great feeling!