TR6 too-fast idle

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 too-fast idle
From: Ian Macky <imacky@us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 10:53:51 PDT
Ok gang, I'm about at wit's end...

I've been trying to get my TR6 to idle properly for the longest time.
Just last I weekend fixed one problem, a leaking manifold gasket (which
caused a bad stumble), but that didn't change my idle situation.

The problem: ~1500rpm idle with carbs sync'd.

I have the butterfly *barely* cracked on the rear carb, and then adjust
the front to sync.  But the front requires at least another full turn on
the screw to match, and once they're sync'd it sits at 1500+.  If I
turn down the front carb, the idle drops way down and it dies.

I rebuilt both carbs within the last year.  Replaced both throttle shafts
and seals plus the usual other stuff the kit provides.  The spray carb-
cleaner test reveals no external sucking sources, but the rear carb MUST
be getting more air than through the butterfly, right?

I have ~24in of solid vacuum; compression is about 150 in all 6; runs
fine except for the fast idle.

Help!  Any suggestions what to look for next?

--ian