aux oilerTR4 aux oiler

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: aux oilerTR4 aux oiler
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 94 11:45:59 PDT
Re Aux Oilers for rockers:

At the moment I have a couple of street TR3s and a TR4. In the past
I have had others. For at least 10 years One of these cars has
an aux oil line to the head. That line has not resulted in extra
oil consumpion.

The rate of flow to the head and consequently the amount of oil
spray in the rocker cover is proportional to the clearance of
the rockers. To some extent the amount of oil expelled by blow-by
or to a lesser extent the amount sucked past the valve stems is
proportional to the amount of oil spray.  I notice a differance
in how full the oil catch tank gets on my race car when I run roller
rockers because the have needle bearings on the rocker shaft, where
the stock rockers have bushings.

One of the things that could contribute to extra oil consumption
with an aux oiler would be excess clearance (wear) on the rocker
shaft or rocker bushings. Were all those parts new when the aux
line was installed or was there already some wear on them? The
same is true for guides.

/Dick