Clunk in rear end

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Clunk in rear end
From: "Dan Parslow, x2556" <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 10:19:08 -0700 (MST)

Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU> writes:

> First of all, it sounds like the TR6 that you were looking at was probably
> okay, but the asking price was probably high. The clunk in the rear is a
> warning sign...could be alot of things, all of them potentially costly.

Sources of rear end clunk that I know about, where ($) = cheap, ($$) = not
cheap, ($$$) means "cheap? Ha!" :

  Decayed diff mount bushes:  $
  Broken, loose, or missing diff mounting bolts: $
  One or more bad UJs: $
  Distorted or damaged chassis members where diff mounts: $$
  Worn diff ready to go boom: $$$

As you can see, the average cost for "diff that go clunk" is between
($) and ($$).  So you could be lucky.