Spitfire Drive Shaft Woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Drive Shaft Woes
From: okane@cscns.com (Olin Kane)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 11:14:40 -0600 (MDT)
In previous postings, I discussed my vibrating Spitfire driveshaft. Finally
got it fixed but it wasn't easy.

Problem - '67 Spitfire driveshaft is out of balance and vibration starts
around 50 mph and gets worse as speed increases. Both U-joints replaced. No
change.

Took drive shaft out (typical LBC exercise - to get it out, drop exhaust
system which requires pulling off intake and exhaust manifolds) and took it
to Shop #1 for balancing. They remove factory weights, weld on their own,
paint it and pronounce it balanced. $35. Reinstalled. Vibration worse.

Took drive shaft out and took it to Shop #2. They chop off Shop #1's weights,
paint it (different color) and pronounuced it balanced. $35. Reinstalled.
Vibration about the same as originally. Since there are only two drive train
shops in this town, gave up and drove it that way for about a year.

Told my tale of woe to a good automotive machinist that I use and he says
Shop #1 is my only hope and to take it back and ask them to try harder.

Took drive shaft out and back to Shop #1 and tell them about previous
experience. They are very apologetic and give it another shot. Two days later
they call and tell me drive shaft is worn out (spline that connects the front
and rear sections) and cannot be balanced to the degree I desire. They don't
know how it left their shop on the first go around.

Possible solutions at this point:

  #1 - Buy used drive shaft and hope it isn't worn out.

  #2 - Buy new drive shaft from Vicky Brit ($200) and new U-joints
       ($14 ea). $228 plus shipping.

  #3 - Shop #1 will make a new drive shaft from scratch for $220.
       New shaft will be made with same u-joints and spline used in Ford
       Broncos. Claims it will be far superior to factory original as
       diameter will be smaller (easier to balance), both U-joints and spline
       will have grease zerts. Has to special order flanges that connect to
       transmission and differential. Will take two weeks.

I opt for #3. Pick up and reinstall two weeks later. Runs perfect. Car is now
all Spitfire except Bronco drive shaft. Is it a Spitco?

--
Olin Kane
Albuquerque