Info on Lotus needed...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Info on Lotus needed...
From: Dan Graves <dan@fubar.rose.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 11:46:49 PDT
content-type:text/plain;charset=us-ascii
mime-version:1.0

  I have a few questions about Lotus' (Loti).  Sometime within the next
  year or two I'd like to pick up another project car to work on.  The
  Lotus Esprit has caught my eye in the past and I was hoping to get some
  background on the car.  I know very little about Lotus (other than what
  I read on the brit-car server over Mosaic) and know that when I was on
  this list awhile back there were a couple of guys that seemed to know
  quite a bit about them.

  My questions are the general ones:

    Are parts hard to get?

    Are parts expensive?  I'm used to Jaguar prices, any worse?  8-)

    Are they rust prone?

    How is the driveability?  (fun factor)

    If I get a non-turbo model what kind of upgrades are there (if any)
    for more power?  (engine swaps possibly?)

    Any owners out there?  How 'bout some personal opinions.

    The only price references that I've found are other Esprit's forsale in
    Hemmings.  I can't find anything in the Old Car Price guides or in
    the older car Kelly Blue Books.

    And finally, the reason I was inspired to write this today was because I
    saw an Esprit in the local paper forsale.  The ad says, '77, new engine,
    needs work.  $5500/offer.  That's not much to go on and I haven't called
    or seen it yet.  I might take a look at it just to see what's out there,
    but it would be nice to know a little bit mroe about Esprits before I go!

    Any help is appreciated.  Please e-mail directly, I am not on this list!

    Dan Graves                                         dan@mothra.rose.hp.com