Spitfire Questions

To: "'british-cars'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Questions
From: "Craig Friedrich (craigf)" <craigf@sequent.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 94 16:10:00 PDT

Greetings SOL'ers!  I have three questions that I hope to get input
on.  The patient in question is my '73 MkIV 1500 Spitfire (aka 'The
Spitwad'):

1) I put a new soft top on it in '81 (bought the top in '80; you
   know the story).  Well the top is still in good shape, but the
   quarter windows are cracked from a three plus year period in
   which the top was in the down position.  The question is:  How
   are these windows installed in the top and are they repairable?
   It looks like some kind of a hot melt process or something; no
   stitching in evidence.  The Spitwad is always garaged so everything
   else on the top is a-ok.

2) The seat belt retractors seem to have a mind of their own, and
   that mind whacked out!  They don't like to pay out slack when I
   try to put the belt on, and they don't like to retract when I
   get out.  They only pull back in a few inches then give up.
   Is this common?  Should I rip 'em out and try to fix them or
   look for new ones?  I have visions of large spring like things
   flying out in all directions if I pull them apart; anybody tried?

3) My overdrive unit has developed some new features over the last
   five years... like more gears!  Seriously, the OD is only supposed
   to switch in when the tranny is in 3rd or 4th gear.  About five
   years ago, it decided that it would add 2nd gear to the line
   up and this year it let 1st gear in.  We don't use it in 1st OD or
   2nd OD (well sometimes 2nd in traffic, but not much really!).  The
   question is what the heck could be going on such that gears are
   getting added to the club?  When it started shifting in 2nd,
   I tried 1st and it definitely *did not* work, but does now.  Any
   thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks for your input!

craigf@sequent.com