RE:TR6 Rear suspension clunks

To: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com
Subject: RE:TR6 Rear suspension clunks
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 01 Jul 1994 16:36:10 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

If you read this list very often you should know that I recently suffered a
potentially expensive rear-end failure on my TR6. I offer the following advice:
investigate the noise and solve the problem or else it might cost a lot of
money to fix.

Because you mentioned that you are coasting when you hear the noise, you
can potentially eliminate a few things.

Things to look for:

1. rear hubs. with the car sitting on all four wheels (e.g. not on stands)
try to move the rear wheels in any side direction. That is, grab the wheels
at 9 and three o'clock and try to wiggle. Ditto for 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock.
If there is play, the bearings in the hub are bad. FIX THEM BEFORE they
break! Otherwise replace them. This is expensive but often necessary TR6
maintenance.

2. trailing arm bushings or frame failure. Either of these can clunk given
suspension travel. The bushings are fairly easy to replace, the frame can
be expensive to fix depending on the extent of the damage.

3. Axle needs grease. The outer hub assembly axle has a sliding joint where
it connects to the inner axle shaft. This should be greased liberally with
CV joint type grease. Also check the rubber boots for tears and missing clips.
If you get water in there, look out.

4. Differential. Pray that this is not your problem. Expensive.

5. Check the lever shocks and various links and bushings related to them. I've
had the shock to frame bolts get loose and make clunks. Actually, I think I
left them loose by accident, but this did clunk back there.

6. Lug nuts? I've left them loose when I was in a hurry.

That's enough for now. Bottom line: check this out before it gets expensive.

Good luck.
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |