Re: Springs FLoors and Rustorations

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Springs FLoors and Rustorations
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 05 Jul 1994 12:50:35 -0500 (EST)
Tim,

Your comment:

>3) Why is everyone suggesting "buying the perfect car" for $10,000 as
>opposed to "buying a junker" for $500 and adding $9500 in parts and
>1000 hours in free labor?  It would probably be good to also add "take

deserves some discussion. While you or I might be happy spending our time
doing the required repairs on an older car, I have met many-many people who
think that such effort is not desireable. In the case of the TR6 question,
the person's comments indicated that they had no idea what the price range
should be for the various condition TR6's should be.

The comments by the list regarding buying the "best condition lbc that you
can find" are pretty consistant regarding cars in general. At this time, there
are still good affordable examples available. The comments were merely
suggesting to the originator of the thread that it can be worth the effort
in overall cost to get a good car to start with.

Continuing, I mean I have seen cars that were pathetic rust buckets that the
owners felt were much more valuable examples of fine British automobiles. This
is how the seller feels. The problem is that there is sometimes little
connection between seller perception and buyer reality. So, if a seller wants
$1800 US for a clapped out TR4, should a potential buyer merely break down
and shell out the coins just because they can spend thousands of hours
getting it road-worthy?

Does this mean that we all want to drive Mazda MPV's? I don't think so. That
is a rather harsh simplification of the discussion and the topic. Besides, I
don't think most list members would subscribe to this list if that (MPV's) were
the primary interest. I'm sure they'd read alt.minivans.mazda.mpv if they
were.

Oh well.

Regarding painting the garage floor: If you want a really spiffy, hard,
impervious to gas/oil/whatever finish, you can't beat the epoxy finishes.
However, installing these is best done by the pros (unless you have SCBA
equipment). As for regular oil based finishes on garage floors, I wouldn't
recommend them. My understanding is that normal enamel finishes do not like
automobile tires etc. When I built my 3-car garage two years ago, the floor
guy recommended just sealing it with Thompson's water seal or similar product.
That's my $0.02 worth.

regards,
rml

p.s. I still haven't sealed the floor in the garage, but I found the the
Castrol Purple Stuff is great for cleaning the inevitable spills/drips etc.

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |