Re: MGB headlight upgrades

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB headlight upgrades
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 00:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
Todd:
> I'd like to upgrade the lighting on my '74 MGB, as it's my daily driver.
> I traced through the wiring diagram in the Shop Manual, and it appears that
> the headlight circuit uses no relays or fuses for protection.  Questions:
>
> 1.  Is this correct, or are there some "fusible links" somewhere?

Very correct. On the headlights, only the highbeam flash is fused. Full
headlight current goes through every wire and every switch. With no
protection.

> 2.  How much power will the wiring handle?  Though I live in the U.S.,
>     I'm planning on a set of Euro-code H4 lamps, for which bulbs are
>     available in wattages of 55/60, 55/100, 80/100, and 90/130.  The
>     standard sealed-beam U.S. lights are (I believe) 35/65; I'd like to
>     use the 55/100 bulbs in the H4s.  What wattages did the late Euro-spec
>     MGBs come with?

I ran the standard 55/65 H4's in my B's with no problems. However, I would
have, without hesitation, gone to relays if using 100w bulbs, or the car was
a 77 or later (switches won't take it).

> -todd
> todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil

   Randy