lotus/triumph shocks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: lotus/triumph shocks
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 1994 11:11:43 -0800 (PST)
Sharon Oblinger wrote concerning shocks:

>It is the same suspension that they used on Spitfires, GT6's, Lotus Europa,
>and Elans. We're betting we can go to the Auto Parts Club and pick up the
>Monroe (or whatever) equivalents if we had the numbers.

The spindles, brakes, rotors, etc. on my Elan (and Europa??) are the
same as on Spitfires, however, the suspension parts (A arms, springs,
shocks) definately ARE NOT the same as a Spitfire.  If they were, then
I could get new Koni (or other shock brand) for the Elan.  Since the
Elan (and Europa) uses coil over shocks, my only choice is stock
Armstrongs, or replacement Spax - which are too short, so using them
requires shorter springs just to maintain stock ride hight (I found
out the hard way- $$$ =8-(  ).

Tim Mullen      mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov    Chantilly, VA
72 Elan Sprint  "For the few who know the difference"
                ...that's what it says on my T-shirt...