cleaning with Coke

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: cleaning with Coke
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 09:57:09 EDT
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. About a hundred years ago, when
I was a teenager and just getting into working on my first car,
(a 1956 Ford) I heard about using Coke to clean battery terminals
and lots of other things. Over the years, I 've tried this more
times than I can count, with a remarkable lack of success. In fact
in all my attempts to use Coke for cleaning, the same thing has
happened; absolutely nothing. I'd start with a rusty part and end
up with a sticky, rusty part.
OK so Coke has phosphoric acid as an ingredient. The reason it doesn't
work, Will, is that there isn't enough phosphoric acid in it to make a
difference. My suggestion if you want to clean with Coke would be just
buy some metal prep and use it. Then, rather than waste it, you can
drink the Coke. Just don't get the two bottles mixed up.

Rik, don't believe old mechanic's tales, Schlierer