Re: Chromabase paint

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM, BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chromabase paint
From: PATRICK KREJCIK <PKR@SLACVM.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 10:11 -0800 (PST)
>Anyone have any anecdotes/alarm bells/rave reviews about this
>type of paint?  Bear in mind, this is southern Arizona, where the
>sun comes down so hard it makes your head bleed.  And turns any
>paint color into pure oxide white in precisely 8.3 seconds.
>
>Replies appreciated.
>
>Dan Parslow, djp@alpha.sunquest.com

I just painted my E-Type with it in BRG and was very pleased
with the result. Its the Dupont Chromabaser system that starts
with a self etching epoxy primer, undercoat, base color coat
and finally many clear coats. Its supposed to be a very
durable finish, though mine is still in the garage being gradually
reassembled. The guy who painted my car declared it better
than the European equivalent called Glasurit (equally or
more expensive) and easier to work with. This last point is
important because it determines how good a job he can make
of the spraying.
Expensive as the paint sounds, it is still a small fraction of the
total job cost, and worth the investment.
The main problem here in California is the clean air requirement
that prohibits the use of volatile solvents. The water base
version of these paints take a long time to dry between the
myriad coats.
Finally, in Arizona you should definitely invest in a car cover
if you want it to look good in 15 years time, as I do.