East Meets West, ZB progress

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: East Meets West, ZB progress
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 15:12:24 EST
Attn: Bay Area folks- this is your warning!

Tilly and I are planning a trip to the Bay area August 19-28. We'll be
visiting my brother, and various frineds from San Francisco to Santa Cruz.
I'm sure that we'll find no real shortage of things to do, but are open to
suggestions, like auto museums not to miss, etc.  We are already planning on
going to the Montery Historics on the 27-28, (Featured marque Ferrari), where
I'm sure some of you will be. We could also consider an SOL get-together with
during the week if possible. Of course, if anyone wants to loan us their
British car(s) for the week, we'd certainly prefer driving a Cobra or MG to a
Toyota rental. :-)

ObBritCar: I think I've finally gathered the parts to re-fabricate the P.O.ed
steering column stator tube for our MG ZB- this will allow me to wire the
wheel mounted horn and turn signals. I've also got needed brake cylinder
kits, & some seat belts to go in, after which point it should pass NY safety
inspection. At that point, I expect to make this car my daily driver, even
tho there's quite a few other things that want doing. All in time.

The steering rack, which must have been un-lubed for a long time, has a
dished area where the damper contacts, which makes a terrible notch in the
steering as you turn the wheel. This rack appears unique to the Magnette (Not
the same as A, B, or T-series anyhow) which means a repair is in order. I'll
have to fill the worn area (weld or braze), and then mill it true again.

If I can get all (most) of this fixed in time, we'll be driving the family up
to the British Motorfest in Schenectady on 7/24. If not, I may have to go
race the Bugeye at Shannonville again instead! :-)
   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!