Re: sports 2+2 info needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sports 2+2 info needed
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 11:32:00 -0400
FRom Eric Olson:

Lotus Eclat - am I crazy or was this the 2+2 Lotus from the mid-70s?
There are 2 in the June Hemmings, one for $8.5K one for $6K.  Would I
be just plain stupid to spend everything buying a Lotus, leaving
little for dealing with its quirks?  (devil's advocate here -- but
it's a LOTUS, Eric!  Vroom vroom vroom!)  How fast is this car
anyway?  Whose engine is it?  Reliable?  Parts expensive as heck?
Somebody stop me!

You won't get discouragement from me! The Eclat has the same engine as my
normally aspirated Esprit (Lotus 907). It's a very solid engine with lots of
potential if you want even more hp. (stock is 140 for US 907, I've seen that
you can go to about 200hp staying with 2 liters and 230 hp going to 2.2 liters
...this is normally aspirated!).

If I had no discipline at all(another Lotus?)and was looking for a 2+2 I'd go
for an Eclat myself (as you can't get its' successor,the Excel, here in the US).
I definitely prefer the Eclat to the new Elite in looks, but I guess it's a
matter of personal taste ( I think the Elite looks like a sleeker version of
an AMC Gremlin, if that can be called flattering :-)

The chassis can rust (pre-galvanized), but the body is fibreglass/fiberglass
(UK/US :-). And you get that Lotus ride! If you're lucky, someone has already
dumped the ZS carbs in favor of DellOrtos (one of the first things to do! :-)

Go for it!  (your mileage may vary)

-Bob T.