Transmission advice sought.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission advice sought.
From: Curt Onstott <fungus@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 11:37:37 -0700 (PDT)
After a month and a half of work, I drove my '70 Midget for the first
time.  I am impressed with how spunky the little guy is.  The reason it
took me so long to get it on the road, was because the clutch pipe was
eaten through by the battery, and it took me forever to get one that fit
my car.  I have discovered *TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS*.  The transmission will
not shift into reverse (I have to back up Flintstone style.) and it is
popping out of first gear.  I think the first gear cluster is dropping out
on me...  Sigh....  I'm wondering whether I should drive the car until the
transmission blows up and then replace it with a rebuilt unit, or fix it
now.  I haven't done any major transmission repair...