TR7 Stuff

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 Stuff
From: TR7Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 23:11:55 EDT
Unfortunately, I have VAST experience with the TR7 <G>.  As I think of the
many things that I've fixed on it, they will be passed on to you.

Fuel gauge erratic: Clean and tighten the connectors on the tank sender unit.

Headlamps go up/down without stopping: Check the silicon rectifiers inside
the motor assembly.  One is shorted.  A TV repair shop can test them for you
while they are still in the motor.

Mild to moderate "rumble" from the rear when you take your foot off the
accelerator at 60 or so: Differential has worn unevenly and the backlash was
probably not set correctly when manufactured.  Make sure oil level is right,
the hubs are greased, and the U-joints (one or two, depending upon driveshaft
design) are OK.  Live with it or rebuild the rear-end.  Reliability does not
seem to be affected.  More nuisance than anything else.

IMPORTANT: 5-SPEED ONLY:  The oil in the gearbox should be changed to (ready
for this?) AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID!!!
This 'box uses a pump to send oil to the gears whereas a conventional unit
submerses them.  The pump (cleverly enough) is made out of plastic!!  In cold
climates it will break while attempting to pump oil to the gears.  Then
you're really in trouble.  I did the changeover with very good results.  It
shifts much more smoothly.  But it is a bit "notchy."  There was a BL service
bulletin on this.

Ignition system: Be aware that there were 3 types fitted to these cars.  The
Lucas mechanical (with points), the Lucas electronic (very troublesome), and
the AC-Delco electronic.

Rattles: These cars tend to be remarkably rattle-free, even as they've aged.
 One source of strange noises on mine turned out to be the full-size (and
cheap) wheel covers.  They're plastic and vibrate against the steel rims.
 Bits of foam rubber, wedged in on their perimeter, worked well.

More as I remember,

Jim Finn