Midget transmission and clutch

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget transmission and clutch
From: James Harrison <james@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 10:03:45 BST

The Midget transmission on early cars (1275 cc or less!) is relatively easy
to dismantle. Get the Haynes manual and follow it carefully. Note that
there are a few minor errors (or at least there were for my 'box) but the
general sequence is fine. I reshimmed mine and got much easier shifting.

To bleed the clutch for a 1275 Midget, you need to get the nipple on the
slave cylinder WIDE WIDE WIDE open - undo it till it is so loose it wobbles
and is about to drop out. Pump LOADS of fluid through and it will
eventually firm up and should then work fine forever.

Hope that helps,
  cheers,
      james
--

     James Harrison - Hewlett Packard Medical Products Group, Bristol, UK
     james@hpl.hp.com     or     james@hpl.hp.co.uk