Spridget Trannys, New Spridget Catalogue

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spridget Trannys, New Spridget Catalogue
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:30:15 EST
First, on the question of the no reverse tranny, now that I've posted Dave
Barry's position.  You may have a simple, or a serious problem, and it's hard
to tell without opening it up. It may just be a shifter problem, work fork,
etc, or a broken gear.

Mini Maina has a kit for the most commonly needed parts, including syncros,
layshaft, bearings, and seals on sale for $129 until 8/15. Best deal I've
seen on a "rebuild kit" lately, altho I'd rather get the competition syncros
($69), Layshaft ($25), and close ratio, straight cut gear set ($800). :-)

Also: At long last, Mini Mania has their Sprite/Midget (& Minor) Catalogue.
200+ pages, $5, or free with $50+ order. I've recently been buying a bunch of

parts there, and have been pleased with the prices, on both stock, and
competition parts. They certainly beat Winners Circle on T.R.S. stuff.

Mini Mania
31 Winsor Street
Milpitas, CA  95035
(408) 942 5595
                   (New 800 Order number)   (Dang, I left this elsewhere)
800 MANIA01 (FAX)  (New 800 FAX Number)

As an experiment of the power of the NET, if you order a catalogue, tell
them I refered you- It might be interesting...

[I do not work for Mina Mania, just spend my money there...]

> From:          tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)

> clutch rebuild..

> (note: the engine is out, the release bearing arm moved freely when not
> connected to the slave. The pedal felt like it was jammed again.
>
> I then thought about the slave cyl. HOW on earth does it work. Theres
> that spring behind the piston which forces it

...Against the pushrod, to take slop out of the system. But, this won't work
with the engine and *CLUTCH* removed- the pressure of the clutch is what
pushes the rod back into the slave.

> Surely the piston should rest at the base of the bore, then when you
> push the clutch, it pushes the piston to where it sits now, thus pressing
> the release bearing against the clutch?

No, actually in operation, it sits *towards* the back of the bore. There is
probably about an inch of movement in operation.
   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!