Clutch Hydraulics

To: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Hydraulics
From: Greg Meboe <99079449@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 12:22:03 PDT
Gosh,
  As I read my mail today about Marcus' clutch, I got very excited. It's this
feeling that wells up inside of me...I WILL BE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE MEANINGFUL
INFORMATION TO THE LIST TODAY!!
  But then I saw Dave Lapham's message about how the throwout bearing always
rides a little against the clutch release fingers.
  Then I saw Ray Gibbons backing him up!
    Darn.  Early Bird........
      I've got to talk to my therapist now...
 So Marcus, listen to these two guys, they are right.  The spring is compressed
in the cylinder, and the spring serves to make sure that the piston always
stays in contact with the rod.  When you take your foot off of the clutch
pedal, the clutch line pressure drops to ~zero~, and a valve opens up in the
master, allowing reservoir fluid to enter the cylinder ( as is the case
during bleeding). This ensures that the clutch will self-adjust.
  Yes the T/O bearing sort of "skips" or "lightly rides" against the clutch
fingers.  You can perform a good experiment to show this, since you have
a GT-6 motor/tranny.  The GT-6 bellhousing has a "window" that you can
look into whilst operating the clutch.  If you have a flashlight, you can
see the clutch disk stop and start.  You can also see the clutch "self-adjust"
if you manually override the piston spring and depress the piston into the
cylinder bore -- out of contact with the rod.  After a few clutch depressions,
it will have re-adjusted itself.

  While I'm at it, I'll have to say that Marcus, you are Mr. ASCII...
I couldn't conceive of making such an understandable drawing of a clutch
cylinder out of punctuation/delimiting marks!

           Greg Meboe   Blah, Blah, Blah
           Dept of Blah, Blah Engineering
           Blah Blah University
           '67 Spit-6, '74 TR-6

PS.  Marcus, if your piston is riding against the circlip at the end of
the slave cylinder WHILE the slave cylinder is installed correctly, you
have a mechanical/linkage/throwout-fork problem in your bellhousing.