Wiring Question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiring Question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 15 Jul 1994 10:46:03 -0500 (EST)
Hello,

I decided not to try to do too much work on my car this week. However, one
annoyance for quite some time has been the fact that my oil pressure idiot
light does not work. This was partially due to the fact that one of the
three wires that connect to the oil pressure sending unit was broken off.

No problem, thought I! I ordered a new sending unit figuring that all would
be well after a simple remove and replace operation.

Nope. Strange thing was, when I first got it all together, the light in the
dash did illuminate, but after I started the car, the light went out (as it
should) indicating that there was oil pressure. However, when I turned the
motor off, the light never came back on again. Hmmm...

Well, I'm convinced that the problem is that the connectors on the wires
or that the wires themselves are corroded to the point that they provide
too much resistance to the circuit. Supporting evidence includes the fact
that I can read a little more than 10 ohms of resistance between the white/
purple wire and ground in the circuit. I also get a similar reading right at
the ground terminal of the sending unit. This should be zero ohms, plain
and simple.

Well, tonight, if the weather is bad, I'll play auto technician and resolve
this one way or the other. I sort of figured that it wouldn't be a simple
remove and replace!

bye,
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |