Compression ratio and power output

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression ratio and power output
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 18:38:52 -0400
        I finally remembered to bring in Vizards book 'How to Build
Horsepower.'  In it, he has a chart which lists the, "power and torque
increase given by a higher compression ratio for a street engine with
a relatively short duration cam"  I'll type in a couple numbers...

        8:1     9:1     10:1    <--- original compression ratio
     _________________________
8:1  |  0

9:1  |  2.0     0

10:1 |  3.7     1.7     0

11:1 |  5.2     3.2     1.5

12:1 |  6.5     4.5     2.8

 ^

 new compression ratio

        Also note, this is based on the traditional mechanical
compression ratios we are familiar with.

        A few points to consider.  First, this is an increase in
thermodynamic efficiency for your engine.  So you can expect an
increase in engine economy.  Second, I would try to increase the
compression ratio by boring out the cyliders.  This will increase
both the swept and total volume of the engine.  An engine bored
out to give a 10:1 compression ratio will produce more power than
an engine with the head milled to give 10:1

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu