Re: British Cars Digest #1292 Sat Jul 16 01:15:01 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1292 Sat Jul 16 01:15:01 MDT 1994
From: Dan Ness <MORRISGARAGE@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 11:57:43 -0400 (EDT)
> I always thought it was very straightforward to put in an O/D
> transmission.  The wiring is all there - you just need to hook it up.
> The driveshaft is a different length.  I have put several into MGB's
> that did not have them.

> However, my Dad and I were looking under the bonnet of my new 67
> MGB/GT.  There was a device mounted on the firewall that neither of us
> recognized.  It had two wires going to it, and a vacuum line from the
> intake manifold.  By looking at the wiring diagram, we found that it
> was the overdrive throttle switch.  Now, I know that if I am in O/D
> top at low revs, and I press hard on the gas, the O/D will disengage
> until the revs come back up.  I suppose it is this switch that does
> it.  My 1972 MG, with the all syncho overdrive box, doesn't seem to
> have this.  Since it takes a lot to get the overdrive on my GT to
> disengage, I suppose if you don't have the switch, you don't need it.

Hmmmm, this is very interesting.  I have a similar problem that I have
tried to fix but have not had much luck.  I have a 1965 RHD MGB that has
an overdrive transmission, ( my switch is located on the dash ).  I have
never been able to get the OD to work properly.  The OD unit will not
engage unless there is no torque on the engine, which basically means that
it will engage when going downhill on the highway but as soon as I touch
the gas it disengages.  I have always had a hunch that it is some type of
vacuum, but have never been able to get an answer as to how to fix it.
The car is relatively new for me and all I did was drain the fluid and
refill it.  Any suggestions are *greatly* appreciated.  How can this
problem be fixed?  Does the OD unit need rebuilding....;-(

Dan