shocks and frame rust

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: shocks and frame rust
From: Mike Duvall <duvall@eagle.sangamon.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 18:17:22 -0700 (CDT)
I was looking at the kit in JC Whitney that lets you replace the lever
shocks with standard shocks. Are these things anygood or should I go
with replacement lever shocks?

Also, How much frame damage can be tolerated from rust? My A has had a
rusty frame with shade tree mechanic patches around the rocker panels
on the interior side. The floor rails have been replaced with angle
iron. Basically along the drivers side the frame has a hole about 1 inch
tall and 15" long under the angle iron. On the passenger side the frame
has some rot I discovered about 6" long on the bottom of the frame.
There are two patches with 1/8" or better steel welded on. The damage is
very old but has not really gotten worse in the last 15 years it has
been sitting in my garage. Should I: 1. Rip out the floor boards and
have the whole thing redone at a great expense including the old
patches, 2. sand blast and add more patches, or 3. sand blast and
undercoat but leave the holes alone. I really don't believe the holes
are bad enough for the car to break in half while I'm driving down the
road. There is no area that is rusted or patched on more than one side of
the box frame.

Any experience would be helpful and call a tow truck for me.....
Mike Duvall  duvall@eagle.sangamon.edu  1959 MGA