Leaking Valve Cover Gasket on TR-4

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking Valve Cover Gasket on TR-4
From: Mark Clark <markc@brahms.udel.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 1994 11:20:41 -0400 (EDT)
Oil leaks from under the valve cover on my 1963 TR-4 constantly - 1/2 quart
per 100 miles or so.  I cleaned the engine so I am sure the leak is
coming from the gasket area.  The car came with two valve covers - the
original pressed steel and an aftermarket alloy type.  Both leak, even
after replacing the gasket twice for both.  The gaskets were all the
traditional cork type, purchased from my local LBC parts dealer.  Please
note that my car is so early that I have no emissions equipment attached
to the valve cover, just a vent to the atmosphere which I have checked
and is clear.  Covers were torqued to spec in all cases.

This has become a very frustrating problem, especially with the puddle of
oil on my garage floor.  The last time I put the cover on I went so far
as to coat the gasket with a gasket sealer (I know you're not supposed to
but I was desparate), but even that did not help.  The only other thing I
can think of is buying a new cover, but at $120+, I want to see if there
are any alternatives first.

Questions:

1) What might be causing the problem?

2) Is there an alternative (non-cork) gasket that might work better?

3) Is this just another example of British flow-through lubrication?

Thanks in advance!