Re: Latest great idea (SMTP Id#: 43930) -Fo

To: ci.tcpbridge.center2.center1.hen2%smtpgate@ci.berkeley.ca.us (Katie Elder (Katie@ci.berkeley.ca))
Subject: Re: Latest great idea (SMTP Id#: 43930) -Fo
From: mpl@netcom.com (Mike Lommatzsch)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 22:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
> so I went
> back upstream looking for a good place to come back on course
> that would allow me to get a good run at the screw-up location
>
> They told me that Golden Gate Region's rules don't allow you to
> although you can on your practice lap.  The reason being that on
> the timed lap, there is probably an overlap car behind you.  I,
> of course, had (and have) no idea what the GGR rules are and
> didn't realize that anybody would prohibit a car from going
> upstream to correct an off-course.  Of course, they also reminded

There is nothing in the GGR rules that prevents you from going back
upstream to correct a course deviation on any of your laps except that you
will get a big "DNF".  But with the extra time involved the DNF wouldn't
matter and the track time/practice may be beneficial.  The un-written rule
is that on your practice lap, you may only back up one corner from where
you messed up if you should mess up that lap.  This prevents people from
taking a complete practice lap and then backing up around numerous corners
to again get more track time.  Again, GGR always uses the 1-1 or 1-2
format which would allow people this extra practice time.

Also, with regards to the next car on course that is why we have course
workers with red flags; if they are paying attention.