The Original Feel

To: tr361@aol.com
Subject: The Original Feel
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 10:56:45 -0400 (EDT)
Chuck - I think you may be experiencing the original ride and handling of
the beast. It has been referred to as a death trap, a coal cart and other
less flattering terms. (I have a 59 so I'm not saying it's not a great car
please note !)

These are OLD cars now and sports cars were, at that time, firm bordering
on brutual. That was Mr. Richardson's philosophy. So, we have a car with
a SOLID axle, pinned into place quite firmly and that gives you very
little roll/lean. It also gives you a healthy dose of "axle hop" and/or
(I love this term) bump steering.

In short that means that the back end lifts up in total and helps you
around the corner ! It was always thus.

If you "improve" the ride by going softer you will get more lean into the
turns and maybe a little less hop. at the same time you'll load up the
tires on one side of the car even more and lighten the other side. With
less contact patch to work with you may fine your car even more happy to
over steer on you.

I'll let the racing crowd take it from here, but I find that I have to
"pitch" my tr3 into a corner at speed and then contain the oversteer with
throttle and a little opposite lock! ( I mean when I'm pushing it!)

Chris Ball