1966 MGB distributor question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1966 MGB distributor question
From: Dirk de Boer <dirk.deboer@usask.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 11:43:52 -0600 (CST)
Last night I set the timing on my 1966 MGB, and I noticed that
I could still turn the distributor after I tightened the distributor clamping
plate. I'm going to order a new clamping plate to solve that.
I also noticed that I could pull out the distributor. My question is:
what hold the distributor down so it stays engaged? Is it just the friction
between the clamping plate and the distributor body, or should there be some
groove into which the clamping plate presses? I could not really see
any groove when I pulled out the distributor.

I'm a little concerned about holding down the distributor because
a week ago, when I pulled away from a traffic light, the distributor came
up and was no longer engaged, resulting in instantaneous engine cut-out.
I managed to roll into a quiet side street, but next time it might happen
at a more inconvenient place. Also, I'd hate to wreck the distributor
by chewing up the shaft end.

Dirk