MGB headers & catalytic convert

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British_Cars)
Subject: MGB headers & catalytic convert
From: PPERREA.SALES@pc.Trimble.COM (Paul Perreault)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 11:36
Hello LBCers,

While I've got my carb off (79 MGB - Calif version), is there any
advantage in wrapping the headers and catalytic converter with fiberglass
or some such?

 A local enthusiast sayz that wrapping them will keep them hotter, and
thus the exhaust gas will flow faster and reduce back pressure.  It will
also result in longer muffler life since water and acids, being hotter,
won't condense as easily.  A further benefit is that the wrapping will
also keep other parts cooler.  A cooler carb means denser fuel, more fuel
to burn, thus more power.  A cooler carb also means less chance of a carb
fire due to overheating from the catalytic converter.

This all sounds so good, What's the catch?  Why isn't everyone doing
this?  If it's a good idea, does anyone have a suggestion for material to
use, and a source?

Paul