Re: Duct tape

To: uclyjjd@ucl.ac.uk (uclyjjd)
Subject: Re: Duct tape
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 9:50:55 PDT

> What _is_ duct tape ?  I suppose it's the stuff you tape air
>
> In the UK we have stuff called "gaffer" tape which is a couple of
> inches wide, usually silver, made of woven fabric with a very sticky
> adhesive.  Much used by rock band roadies for fixing mic stands.  Is
> this the same stuff ?

Yup, that's the stuff.  We use it on our ducks.  Never understood why
it's spelled so funny, though.

> The quart seems to be common usage in the US, whilst it is hardly ever
> used in the UK.  Petrol and oil are now sold exclusively in litres in
> the UK, as are most other liquids.  Most people still measure fuel
> consumption in miles per gallon though.  We still buy pints of milk and
> beer (thank goodness) but even a measure of spirits is changing from
> 1/6 gill to 25ml (you get 5.5% more).  All part of European integration

After the energy crisis in the '70s I recall there being some sort of
Federal mandate about the US going metric within a certain period.
The conversion form "English" to metric was supposed to be phased in.
After a year or two about half of the service stations in this area had
their pumps calibrated in litres.  Needless to say this caused a great
deal of confusion and probably a bit of price gouging.  Don't know what
happen to the mandate but I haven't seen a gas pump calibrated in
litres for years.

Roland