Riley running rich question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Riley running rich question
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 11:44:55 PDT
Time to tap the collective .net wisdom on a problem with the
     Riley ....

     Background: 1 1/2 litre, ~ 1000 miles on a rebuilt
     engine, compression all ~ 130 psi.

     Problem: *excessive* plug fouling. Am currently running
     Champions, and so chiming in with the recent spark plug
     thread, I'm wondering if I should switch to NGKs or
     somesuch when I replace them. I've gone through the
     carb, leaned it out quite a bit, but it still seems to
     run rich and the plugs get quite sooty.
          So I guess my question is depending on whether or
     nor I have weak spark or too rich a mixture (or a
     little of both), do you have any suggestions as far as
     settings, etc. ?
          My urgency here is I want to use this car in our
     wedding on August 6th and I don't envision Nancy being
     too pleased with me having to jump out & brush the
     plugs whilst en route ... ;-)

          Thanks in advance-
                            daren