Today's drive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Today's drive
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 15:33:32 -0400 (EDT)
A bit surprised to realize that it would soon be August I vowed that I
would drive the Spitfire into work today.  When I got up it was overcast
an cool. I was tired and grumpy. Maybe I'd just take the Ford.

BUT ... I firmed up my resolve and fired up the Spitfire, and you know
what? There was almost no traffic, it never did rain and I met a TR6 on
the way in. By the first set of lights I was grinning and feeling good.

The sound of the engine, the breeze, the wood dash and all those gauges.
The DIRECTNESS of it all. Several people smiled, one guy told me that my
rear wheels were on a funny angle ( nice of him to say something anyway)
and I arrived a work feeling great.

THere was someone waiting for me and so I never got to the eashroom to
comb my hair and totally forgot ! What a hoot. I walked into a meeting
and one of the secretaries came up to me quietly and said "Did you drive
the MG (arrgh!) today?"  "Yes, why" says I. "Well Chris, go and check the
mirror. You look like the sinking of the Hespris". I DID ! No wonde the
Director asked if I was having a rough day !

Then, later on the rain did come and four people emailed me on the office
LAN to see if I had the top up. All in all it seems like the little cars
just bring out the best in people, which is pretty neat. Tey could envy
us and be crappy about it (Serves 'im right. He'll have a wet bum on the
way home") but they're not.

You know, I think I'll put off painting the Spit and doing the chrome.
It's nice to be able to drive in during the rush hour, something I could
never do in the Healey or the TR3.

Just a few thoughts. Today renewwed my faith in Everyone.

Chris