The search goes on...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The search goes on...
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 16:24:54 -0400
  Just figured I'd drop you all a note and let you know how the Triumph
search is progressing.  I've been calling all over about Triumphs for
sale, and looked at a bunch before I went on vacation, but have only
looked at one so far this week since I've been back.

  Last night I looked at a '76 Spitfire for sale.  The owner is asking
$2900, and would seem quite willing to dicker.  I wouldn't be
surprised if he would take $2000 for it.  The car looks good from a
distance; the paint (orange) is still bright (appears to have a good
coat of wax), although it does have chips in a large number of places
to show it's age.  The paint is original color, but appears to have
been redone by a prior owner.  Exterior body panels show no rust.
Minor rust on underside of bonnet, especially below headlights on a
purely interior panel.  Under hood all there, but not particularly
pretty -- valve cover paint peeling, prior brake or clutch fluid leak
corrosion, etc.  Radiator in exc shape (must have been replaced by
prior owner?), engine block surprisingly clean (non-orig?).  Driver's
side front floor has been replaced; other floors show surface rust,
but may have sufficient metal to be ground down and repainted.
Underside looked good, but I didn't put the car up on a lift, either.
Surprising lack of rust in boot.

  Instrumentation all worked; 55K on the odo; car started, and ran
well (it had already been warm, as the owner had moved it out of the
garage before I arrived).  Ran smooth at idle, revved freely.
Transmission was smooth in all gears; pulled about equally well from
2K ->4.5K RPM.  However, didn't seem to have a whole lot of power
(I've never driven a mid-70s Spitfire before; had always driven the
more peppy 67/68/69 ones in the past; I assume the lack of power is a
70s Spitfire trait, rather than particular to this car.)  Brakes
worked evenly, (no pull), and felt firm, but don't stop the car as
quickly as my Taurus does.  (At least it doesn't *feel* as fast...)

  Basically, the car is in good mechanical shape, doesn't have any
major blemishes, yet nothing is perfect.  Almost every area has minor
flaws (paint chips, small interior blemishes/tears) but everything
works, and it looks presentable.  Owner had various spares, like new
carpet kit, door/window seals, etc.

  I liked the car, and think it would make a good first Triumph, maybe
while I take the time to do a minor restoration on a TR3/4/250/6?
However, I'm waiting to look at more TRs; the lack of pep was a little
discouraging.

- --ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631