Importing Cars into Canada

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Importing Cars into Canada
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 94 8:54:25 EDT
Further to the comments given back to Tom Beaty on TVR importation:
Glad you were able to get the TVR address in Canada, and hope you do find
that dream car locally.

Just thought I would comment, as one who imported a Wolseley from South
Africa into Canada (another story for another time):  I found everyone
concerned in the offical process, from import permit, to customs, to Ontario
registration, to local safety permit -- extremely helpful and usually
doing there best to help find a way around rules that are really intended
for the wealthy who bring in gold/diamonds and Aston Martins, rather than
elderly LBC's.  This included the Toronto customs which was like a madhouse!

I found the secret was to doing everything in person (rather than through
a broker), to have all possible documentation, including photos of the
desired car, showing plenty of ordinary enjoyers of such cars and the fact
that you belong to a local enthusiasts (not professional retailer's
groups.  (In my case the local mini club, Mini's of Windsor Owner's Group
(MOWOG)!

Andrew
                   Bus Admin, U of Windsor, Windsor. Ont. CANADA   N9B 3P4
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca