Carnivorous Oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, fordnatics@freud.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Carnivorous Oil
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 1994 11:20:34 -0700
After posting my Salisbury diff manual appeal I got to thinking (oh oh)
about the recent synthetic oil thread.  As I mentioned in my earlier
post the differential in my 289 Cobra needs new seals.  The reason for
this is because of a worsening leak at one of the half-shaft outputs.
Actually this diff has leaked ever so slightly for years, but has become
much worse during the last few months.  I don't know why this didn't
occur to me during the synthetic oil discussion but I'm wondering if
this might not be the result of having replace the oil with Redline
synthetic about a year ago.  Maybe the Redline is eating away the gunk
that's been keeping the oil in for the past 30 years, but the old oil
looked clean coming out and I didn't notice any significant residue.  Of
course any gunk might be as hard as a rock and glued to all of the
interior surfaces so maybe detergent action is the culprit.  On the
other hand maybe this stuff IS eating the gaskets and seals.

Anyone else have a similar experience with synthetic oil in a diff or
transmission?

Roland