Re: MGB Bumpers

To: CARNELLM@Citadel.edu (Michael Carnell, )
Subject: Re: MGB Bumpers
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:23:48 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Carnell asks >

> This is a really odd request, but I hope someone can help.  I am
> restoring/playing-with a 1977 MGB and thinking about doing some very odd
>things
> to the paint scheme. (Yes, _totally_ non-original.)  To do so I need to paint
> the rubber bumpers. That brings me to my questions:
>
> 1) I remember that years ago someone made fiberglass replacements for the
> rubber bumpers.  Does anyone else remember this and maybe know of a source?

May be Andy Banta, operator of the w2w list.  If he is not reading this
list, try banta@eng.sun.com or banta@abingdon.sun.com

> 2) Has anyone else actually painted the rubber ones?  Can it be done?

Yes.  There is a guy in the MMGG (Minnesota MG Group) that has an MGB-GT
with rubber bumpers.  The entire car is monochromatic white.  Makes the
car look more modern, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

> What preparation would need to be done.

Not sure, but I know that there is an additive called "flex" to be added
to the paint.  With all the soft bumpers on cars these days, body shops
have to be used to this.