auction, seatbelts, car search update

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: auction, seatbelts, car search update
From: JWisland@aol.com
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 94 15:55:27 EDT

(1) auction

02 Sep 1994 21, Marcel Chichak <chichm@supernet.ab.ca>, writes:
> Subject: Bodgie Van and other stories
> [deletia]
> The police auction is fertile territory BTW.

I had been thinking of posting (but not to _this_ list):
   Anyone have have experience with police/DEA/IRS/etc. auctions?
   worthwhile?

So...

(2) seatbelts

> 03 Sep 94, TATERRY@aol.com, Subject: Seat Belts writes:
> any thoughts on the pro's and con's of 3 point belts in our lbc's??

   One of the cars I found was an MGBGT with roll bar installed (OK, the bar
looks funny inside a hardtop, but it doesn't really qualify as a badge, does
it?), so that there would be a place to securely attach racing/pilot-type
seat/harness belts.  Tried them on. **Very comfortabl, secure.** BTW, angles
of webbing allows adequate space for female use.

(3) car search update

Found a '57 Nash Metropolitan (reportedly 1 of 1st Brit imports to America -
11K made, est. 25K still on road). 80K, original, light driver. 2 dr. Prsent
owner bought it 2 yrs ago (from orignial owners) for $3K. (Added tune, up,
tires, etc, no major work.) Interior fair, minor bondo, no rust. Sounds like
condition 3 or 4. Currently driven 1K/yr. Asking $3900.

Could _this_ be the daily driver I am seeking?  (I've seen a few of these on
the road--with fair interior, looked like loved drivers.) Or, is it a
restoration project (obviously, for someone else)? Will I be able to get
parts?  at reasonable $ ? Will this be worth an engine rebuild? _Most_
important, what doe I need to look out for on inspection of _this_ car?

BTW, most of you are suggesting that I get MBG of chrome era, that has
beenused as daily driver. However, some are steering me towards newer
(rubber, not _real_).  For obvious practical reasons of wanting afforable
daily driver, I may want to seriously consider this (rather than veto
anything that is 197x) -- If I go w newer car, which years etc to get/avoid?

Thanks.  Oh, won't get to Portland this weekend, but glad TeriAnn mentioned
to to me. Someone sent me a great cyber-birthday cake! ... I didn't expect a
car. ;^)  And the ins. co. called that day to finally offer me a (modest)
settlement on V122.

In connection,

Judith Winter