Re: Seat Belts

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 02:14:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 3 Sep 1994 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> Now that I am a serious seat belt evangalist, I have been preaching to my
> fellow SOL'ers about adding 3 point belts to old lbc's like the T series
> MG's.  One SOL thought this a bad idea as the shoulder belt would be attached
> below the height of the drivers shoulder and therefore would possibly cause a
> compression of the spine in an accident.
>
> Seems like other lbc's, MGB, Sprigets, etc. have a similar arrangement.
>   Does anyone have any thoughts on the pro's and con's of 3 point belts in
> our lbc's??

Seems to me that any colision serious enoughh to cause spinal compression
if you have a three-point belt is almost certain to impale you on the
steering column if you have only a lap belt.  Neither is the ideal
situation, but I'd rather have back pain than be impaled.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu