Re: Watkins Glen Vintage Races

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Watkins Glen Vintage Races
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 10:59:03 EST
A reminder, and update:

 The "Zippo United States Vintage Grand Prix" at Watkins Glen will be held on
September 8-11. This event typically attracts 300+ vintage race cars in
various classes, including production sports cars, sports racers, formula
cars, Can Am, & Grand Prix cars, etc. There's also a car show held on the
infield on Saturday & Sunday, with parade laps of the track during lunch
break.

Of special interest this year is the 40th anniversiry of the Collier Cup,
which is currently run as an all MG race. There will be 55 MG's on the grid
for this special race, which is being sponsored by Moss Motors.

In addition, all day Friday, will be the 2nd annual Grand Prix Festival, held
in downtown Watkins Glen. This year, it will include an all MG Concours, an
MG corall, and re-enactments of the original races through the streets of
Watkins Glen as groups of the original race cars, the Collier Cup cars take
laps of the original course, starting at 4PM. For the rest of the afternoon
and evening, starting at the old Start/Finish line, the main drag of Watkins
will be lined with a succession of Vintage race cars, the Collier Cup cars,
and then a "corral", of spectators MG's down the rest of the road.

(call 607 535-4300 for more information)

I'll be the one wearing a light blue Bugeye Sprite, #91 on track, and will
attempt to have my MG PA (2 tone red w/primer spots) at the track/downtown on
Friday and Saturday as well, weather and race conditions permitting. Most of
my sessions are very early in the morning, so I may often be found somewhere
amoungst the seperate Collier Cup pits, or wandering around in a tan jacket
with a big Austin Healey Sprite patch (and others) on the back. (Practice
7:30 Firday morn!, a couple on Sat, and 7:45 Sunday, race 10 AM Sunday!)

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
| |___||  _  |          Wayward Sports Car Racing
| | \  |   | |          607-533-7735