Re: (TR4AIRS) front brake calipers

To: heyer@imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.d400.de (Daniel Heyer)
Subject: Re: (TR4AIRS) front brake calipers
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 8:59:16 PDT
> I have cleaned, polished and buffed all the original parts to a standard
> which probably was never achieved by Standard Triumph itself. Above all,
> the brake calipers look like new. Does anybody have an idea how to seal
> the surface of these cast-iron items, or if it is necessary/advisable? Is
> Nyalic (Eastwood Co.) a suitable product, for example? Or is it not
> heat-resistant enough for this purpose?

Out of curiosity did you polish the calipers as as well?  It's my
understanding that this isn't a good idea as it decrease the caliper's
heat dissipating capacity because of the reduced surface area.

I suspect that coating the calipers with a sealer would also reduce heat
dissipation.  I don't think I've ever seen calipers that had any
kind of coating put on them at the factory.  Still, when I look at the
surface rust starting to form on the calipers I spent so much time
cleaning and derusting a few years back it makes me wonder if I should
have clear coated them.

Roland