Re: Kansas City British Car Show

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL)
Subject: Re: Kansas City British Car Show
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 16:20:01 CDT
Larry writes:
> early-60s Messerschmidt. This is a little 3-wheeler with a 300cc motorcycle
> engine. The two passengers sit in tandem. The whole top of the car is a clear
> bubble. The little booger can do 70 mph and get 60 mpg! This one was
> immaculate, and sounded really smooth when it drove away. It looked like the
> product of an aircraft company, with an aluminum body riveted together. The
> bubble canopy looked airplanish, too.

I saw something akin to this a couple of years ago on CNN "FutureWatch"
or some similar program.  A retired engineer in Switzerland is building a
modern version of these, using BMW motorcycles.  It is a fully enclosed
2-wheeler, with some sort of 3rd wheel or rolling kickstand which
automatically comes down at stoplights or whenever speed drops below some
threshhold.  Looked really neat.  If I remember correctly, price was some
astonomical amount for a motorcycle, $20K maybe?

ObBritCar:  BMW owns Rover  :^)
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA