Yet Another Bodge (YAB). Sorta

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Yet Another Bodge (YAB). Sorta
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 13:06:57 -0700
This doesn't quite come under the Bodge heading or even relate to
British cars (as far as I know) but it's in the spirit of the
discussion.  This particular act of desperation took place during the
Great Depression and was only one of many thousands of similar
occurrences taking place on a routine basis.

My Great uncle was driving home from a temporary out-of-town job on the
back roads of Montana, nearly broke and without much in the way of
future prospects.  It was very late at night and he still had several
hours of driving ahead of him.  He pulled into a small town service
station for gas.  While he was stopped he checked the oil level.
Nothing showed on the dip stick.  After counting up what little change
he had he concluded that it was questionable whether he had enough for
the gas to get him home let alone gas and oil.  He tried talking the
station attendant into "lending" him a couple of quarts of oil,
promising to mail him the money, et cetera.  No way.  So he did the only
thing he could think of to do.  He spent all of his meager cash on
gasoline, filled the crankcase with water and drove home.

Roland